According to an Italian report, Liverpool will try to sign AC Milan midfielder Ismael Bennacer as their fourth summer signing.
According to reports, Liverpool will make a €40 million bid for AC Milan midfielder Ismael Bennacer in the coming days.
Following the Reds’ 1-1 draw at Marco Silva’s Fulham on Saturday afternoon, in which Thiago Alcantara became the latest member of Jurgen Klopp’s squad to withdraw with an injury, Liverpool are said to be ready to pursue a fourth signing in an already busy transfer window.
According to the Italian outlet Calciomercatoweb, Bennacer, who is said to have a €50 million release clause, can help Klopp solve his midfield injury crisis after a difficult few weeks for the club’s medical department.
Thiago’s suspected hamstring problem follows injuries to Curtis Jones and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Naby Keita also missed the 2-2 draw with Fulham through illness.
Bennacer has been at AC Milan for three years after joining from Empoli for €16 million in the summer of 2019. Since then, the Algerian international has made 103 appearances for the Rossoneri, winning the Serie A title last season.
The Bennacer rumours, which surfaced in Italy over the weekend, contradict reports in the English press this summer that Liverpool manager Klopp – who is said to be a huge fan of Borussia Dortmund prodigy Jude Bellingham – is holding out until the summer of 2023 to bolster his midfield options.
Despite the injuries to Thiago, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Jones, the Reds have Fabinho, Jordan Henderson, Jones, Harvey Elliott, and Fabio Carvalho in their ranks ahead of the busy August schedule, which will see them take to the field four times as Klopp attempts to make up for lost ground following the two points dropped at Craven Cottage.
Bennacer’s current contract at AC Milan expires in the summer of 2024, which is said to be the trigger for Klopp wanting to move for a player who will add “quality and geometry” to the Anfield ranks, according to Calciomercatoweb.
Earlier this summer the word out of the club was that Klopp would not be adding to the signings of Carvalho, Calvin Ramsay and Darwin Nunez.
But when asked if his current midfield problem would change that stance, the Reds manager said after the draw with Fulham: “We will see. A transfer must make sense now and in the long-term. We have eight midfielders. We still have enough midfielders. It’s not that we lack midfielders, it’s just some of them are injured.
“This isn’t a good situation, I don’t like it at all. We have to see how we react on that, but for sure not panic.”